The plane was built at Long Beach, CA in 1942 and delivered to U.S. Army Air Corp
on February 11, 1943.
Assigned to the 53rd Troop Carrier Squadron it was flown via the Southern Route to
North Africa where it participated in the very first US paratroop mission of WWII
(Operation Husky) that took place on July 9, 1943. It flew the 2nd combat mission
of Husky on July 11, 1943 where it was badly damaged. During that mission numerous
C-47's were shot down, most by friendly fire.
It went on to fly the invasion of Italy (Avalanche). It's 4th combat mission was
the invasion of France (D-Day / Operation Overlord) where it carried 18 paratroopers
from the 507th. The plane had chalk number 41 in the 25th Serial. The crew on that
1st Lt. Donald E. King (P)
2nd Lt. James Timmins (CP)
T/Sgt. Robert D. Decker (CC)
S/Sgt. Paul H. Stone (RO)
It went on to fly three combat missions during the invasion of Holland (Operation
Market Garden) which included;
Droping paratroopers of the British 1st Airborne Division at DZ-X on the opening
day of the operation, 17 September 1944
Towing a glider on 18 September 1944 to LZ-T.
Dropping resupplies at DZ-O on 19 September 1944.
It went on to fly the very last paratroop mission of WWII into Germany , operation
Varsity, 24 March 1945
. It flew hundreds of supply and hospital missions in-between the eight "behind the
lines" combat missions.
Today the plane is owned and flown by Mr. Scott Glover, seen here in the cockpit.